Someone told me the other day they had never heard of a smoothie bowl and I was shocked! I guess sometimes I don't realize I live in a bubble health obsessed friends, colleagues and social media and hence smoothie bowls seem to be everywhere for me!
So if you don’t know what a smoothie bowl is, then today is your lucky day because smoothies will never be the same for you! A smoothie bowl is basically I really thick smoothie that you eat with a spoon. The only thing you need to change to take your regular smoothie into a smoothie bowl is reduce the liquid. My favourite part about creating smoothie bowls is topping it with fun ingredients and turning it into smoothie art!
I make smoothie bowls often and usually don't measure anything and throw whatever I am feeling into my Vitamix (and I encourage you to do the same) but this is a tried and true recipe that I will always come back to.
Green Smoothie Bowl
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- ½ cup fresh or frozen mango
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- ¼ ripe avocado
- ¼- ½ cup almond milk (or milk of choice) - amount will depend on if fruit is frozen
- 1 scoop plain or vanilla protein powder of choice or 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- Topping Choices: fresh berries and fruit, chia seeds, hemp hearts, homemade granola, nuts and seeds, unsweetened coconut, goji berries or whatever your heart desires
- Mix all the ingredients in a high speed blender (except for the toppings)
- Pour into a bowl and get creative with your topping designs!